The USS Belleau Wood (CVL-24) was launched on 6 December 1942. It was a U.S. Navy Independence Class aircraft carrier, and it operated in the Pacific theater during WWII. It supported battles such as those at Tarawa, Iwo Jima and the Gilbert Islands, and its complement of aircraft made many raids against Japanese positions. In one battle it shot down a kamikaze plane, which subsequently landed on its flight deck and detonated stored ammunition. The resulting fire killing 92 crewmen. The USS Belleau Wood was later present at the surrender of Japanese forces in 1945, and the carrier was inactivated shortly after the war.
This kit has a number of significant new features. There is a completely new tooling for the flight deck to reflect the CVL-24 late version. There is also a new bridge component and a new radio mast that is constructed from detailed photo-etched parts. This ship model is incredibly detailed and accurately captures the look of the original U.S. Navy Independence Class aircraft carrier.
- New flight deck made from clear part (New)
- New radio tower by photo-etched parts (New)
- New bridge component (New)
- Photo-etched hanger bay platform
- Photo-etched crane in great details
- Updated 20mm single gun mounts and 40mm quad mount cannons
- F6F Hellcat and TBF/M Avenger are conveniently constructed in tranparent plastic
- New Cartograf decal offers accurate markings (New)
- New box art illustration (New)