The Astute class submarine is the latest submarine in the British Navy, as of 2007. This huge submarine has an appearance similar to a whale and is nuclear-powered, not requiring a single refueling over its 25 year lifetime. It is not unique in this regard, though. The Astute class submarine is built by BAE Systems at the city of Barrow-in-Furness, on the central west coast of Britain. The submarines will cost about $2.4 billion US Dollars (USD) each. The Astute class consists of attack submarines, in contrast to ballistic missile submarines such as the Vanguard class.
- 2-piece full hull with engraved surface features
- Separate planes
- Display stand
- Photo-etch parts (hull fittings, screw blades and nameplate)
- Plus a full array of periscopes, comms masts and snorkel
- Completed model is approximately 11" long
- Color painting reference displaying port and starboard profiles, overhead plan, bow and stern views
- Decals for hull markings.