The training ship Amerigo Vespucci was built and armes by the royal dockyards of Castellamare de Stabia. The designer of the project was lieutenant colonel Francesco Rontudi of the Italian Naval Engineerong Corps. Work started on 12th May 1930 and the ship was launched on 12th February 1931. After the war and for seven years from 1951 to 1958, the Amerigo Vespucci was subject to several modifications and refits. It was equipped as a frigate with an ancillary engine, with electrical propulsion supplied by two dynamos driven by two diesel engines. Since its launch in 1931, the Amerigo Vespucci has consistently been used for training officiers from the Naval Academy in Livourne in the conduct of military marine and naval operation, and for Italian navy trainee officiers and pilots. From 193 to 1955 the training ship crossed the Atlantic to the United States, Central America, Brazil and Argentina end completed many cruises on the North Sea and to the Eastern Coasts of the Atlantic.