The second long hull unit, Ticonderoga was laid down on Mar 1, 1943, commissioned in May of 1944, built by Newport News. Her first action was supporting landings in the Philippines. In January 1945 she was damaged by a kamikaze, but returned to support operations off Okinawa and Japan. After participating in Magic Carpet operations Ticonderoga was placed in reserve in 1947. Ticonderoga was modernized and saw further service. Ticonderoga received five battle stars during World War II and three Navy Unit Commendations, one Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 battle stars during the Vietnam War.