The North Carolina (BB-55) was laid down October 27, 1937 by New York Naval Shipyard; launched June 13, 1940 and commissioned at New York April 9, 1941. North Carolina completed her shakedown in the Caribbean prior to the Pearl Harbor attack, and after intensive war exercises, entered the Pacific June 10, 1942. When the U.S. attacked Guadalcanal in early August of 1942, North Carolina was the only U.S. battleship available to provide protection for the carriers Wasp CV-7, Saratoga CV-3 and Enterprise CV-6. In the Battle of the Eastern Solomon, North Carolina forever changed the role of the new battleships when she shot down seven Japanese planes in one battle. After that battle it would not be uncommon for fast battleship to screen aircraft carriers due to their massive anti-aircraft batteries. On the afternoon of September 15 1942, one torpedo was hit the North Carolina. The torpedo hit tore a hole 10 meter long and 6 meter high in the shell plating and caused 5 dead. After inactivation, she decommissioned at New York June 27, 1947. On April 29,1962 she was dedicated at Wilmington, N.C., as a memorial to North Carolinians of all services killed in World War II. North Carolina received 12 battle stars for World War II service.
- 261 Parts
- Optional full or waterline hull
- Highly detailed deck and superstructure
- Optional elevating main armament or fixed with blast bags
- Display stand and nameplate
- Painting guide and decals for measure 32 camouflage.