Between March 23 and 27 April 1945, Pittsburgh guarded the carriers as they first prepared for, then covered and supported the invasion of Okinawa. Enemy airfields were interdicted, and the troops given direct aid from the carriers. Pittsburgh repelled enemy air attacks and launched her scout planes to rescue downed carrier pilots. On June 4, 1945, Pittsburgh has lost her bow in a typhoon which by early next day had increased to 70-knot winds and 100 foot waves. With a false bow, Pittsburgh left Guam June 24 bound for Puget Sound Navy Yard, arriving July 16. Still under repair at war's end, she was placed in commission in reserve March 12, 1946 and decommissioned March 7, 1947. Pittsburgh received 2 battle stars for World War II service.